Intimacy with Jesus is not something that’s talked about in every church, and it is not something I remember hearing much about in my church growing up. It’s just been in the last few years that I’ve started to really learn what it is all about.
What is intimacy with God?
We were each created to have a relationship with Jesus that goes deeper than anything else we could experience with anyone else on this earth. Having an intimate relationship with Jesus involves having a deep, personal relationship that goes deeper than anything else. Like other relationships, this takes time to develop. As we invest time into Him and draw closer to Him, He will draw closer to us.
Have you experienced this intimacy with Him? There are so many places in our lives where we can feel broken. Our brokenness can often drive us away from God, when we really should take our brokenness and let it drive us to Him! We all have different pasts, different things that happen to us throughout our lives.
Maybe you feel:
- Broken – Maybe you even wonder if God could ever heal your heart from the damage that’s been done.
- Rejected – You don’t feel like you measure up.
- Ignored – Do you often feel overlooked, as though you don’t matter?
- Empty/ Unfulfilled – Maybe you’re in a spiritual desert, and you just don’t feel God anymore. You KNOW He’s there, but feeling Him is a whole other thing.
- Lonely – There may be a pit of emptiness in the deepest parts of you that you can never seem to fill.
- Forgotten, Misunderstood
- Hopeless – Is despair a common feeling for you?
- Inadequate / Not good enough / Something wrong with you?
- Holding onto shame –Are you afraid that people would reject you if they knew about your past? Maybe they already have.
- Do you wear a mask? – You’ve worn a mask so long that you don’t even know who you really are without it.
- Unloved, Angry or Guilt-ridden – Guilt is something so many people carry, and we weren’t meant to carry this heavy burden.
- Grieved – Maybe an overwhelming sense of grief wakes you up at night
- Failure – Do you feel like you’re a failure?
- Regret? Fearful – Do you feel paralyzed by worry and fear?
- Maybe you don’t deal with any of these things, but your life is lacking the joy that you know you’re supposed to have.
Chances are, there is some sort of need in your life that has gone unmet. Maybe you see yourself in some of the examples I gave, or maybe just one in particular.
For myself, the one thing that I have dealt with repeatedly in my life is the feeling of emptiness. This is something I have repeatedly needed to turn to God for. When I don’t turn to Him or look to Him for my worth, I start to feel very empty.
How have you tried to meet the needs in your life?
What do we do with the voids that we have in our lives? We know we need to give them to God, because He’s the only one who can fill these places in our lives. So often we make the choice to give it to Him, but then we either take it back or we slowly fall back into filling ourselves up with something else again.
Do you really KNOW that God can truly fill every void in your heart?
Join me next week for Part 2 of Longing for Intimacy